The Department of Education released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking last week to convene more negotiated rulemaking committees. This time the Department plans to take up issues related to a number of issues related to accreditation, distance education modalities and faith based education. Among the specific issues they aim to address, the Department plans to hold several negotiated rulemaking sessions to discuss
- Requirements for accrediting agencies in their oversight of member institutions;
- Requirements for accrediting agencies to honor institutional mission;
- Criteria used by the Secretary to recognize accrediting agencies, emphasizing criteria that focus on educational quality;
- Developing a single definition for purposes of measuring and reporting job placement rates; and
- Simplifying the Department’s process for recognition and review of accrediting agencies.
- Additionally the committee will take up issues related to State Authorization, Definition of a Credit Hour, the Definition of Regular and Substantive Interaction.
Public comments and recommendations are open until September 14, 2018.